Our Chocolate Unit has been truly rewarding with seeing how chocolate is made, making ice chocolate in Science (click on the Science Blog link to get an update), to working on numerous geography tasks that have shown us where cacao trees grow and who the main importers are. During crafts we also made collages showing different geographical features. We are doing our final assessment in class. We are assessing a geography skill which is: Students are able to use secondary sources to obtain geographical information. Below is the rubric we are using and the one we have shown our students.
I’m getting used to it
|
I’m getting better
|
I’m really getting it
|
I can find out some
geographical information but I need some help from my teacher or a friend to
work out how to do this.
|
I can find different
information from at least two different places.
I can say where I found the
information so other people will know where to look. My teacher helps me to look
at sources I wouldn’t normally use.
|
I can find out information
by myself and I can use at least three different sources.
I look carefully at
all the sources to check that the information I find in one source is also
shown in another source.
|
Last week, we were paired with our buddies. 3C have buddies in KC and 3V have buddies in KV. We worked with some leaf crafts, played some games and got to know each other a little better. We really enjoy seeing our buddies. Some of our students are paired with another student that speaks the same language. That same week we also enjoyed a morning out in HumlegÄrden where we went orienteering. We were lucky with the Autumn weather! Students enjoyed reading the maps and figuring out the mystery word.
It is always a pleasure to meet parents during Parent Teacher Student conferences. It is nice to touch base and talk about your child's social and emotional performance as well as their academic one. We hope that our student's have understood the goals they should be striving towards and encourage you to keep us informed of their progress at home as well.
Week 43 is a busy week. It is Spirit week at SIS. The primary school has their dress up day on Tuesday the 21st. Students can come dressed up as anything they want. 3rd grade will have their Halloween party the last two periods that day and you are more than welcome to pop in and help out. Our class parents have put up a sign up sheet in the corridor between our 2 classrooms for snacks and crafts.
Wednesday the 22nd is a half PD day for teachers so school ends at 12.45. Please pick up your child after break.
Friday the 24th is the UN Day parade. The whole of SIS will parade around the park outside in their national dress or colours that represent their country. There will be an assembly with performances, that you are welcome to attend. Scroll down further to read the UN Day Parade invitation that the 4th graders are hosting.
Warmest regards,
Mrs Kinch, Mr Gordon and Mrs D'Andrea-Nordin
Upcoming events
Oct 22 – Half day for students. Dismissal at 12.45
Oct 24 – UN Day
United Nations Day
Assembly
Friday 24th October
To
celebrate the United Nations Day,
the
Primary classes are planning to take part in a Parade of Nations. Our student
body along with faculty members will parade around the perimeter of Johanneskyrkan’s
Park in national groups. The procession
starts at 9:00am and will be followed by a Primary School Assembly in the gym
at approximately 10:15. All parents are
welcome to take part in the parade and Primary parents are welcome to watch
their children perform afterwards at the assembly in the gym.
The
students are encouraged to wear the National Dress from their country or something
that represents their country (eg. football shirt, hockey shirt, t-shirt with
the colours of their country).
If
students need assistance with their costumes, parents can
go
to classrooms at 8:30.
Thank
you and Welcome
from the
Primary School Teachers
No comments:
Post a Comment