Friday, 24 April 2015

Newsletter Week 17

Dear 3rd Grade Parents:
Although Spring has been a little shy this year, it is in full bloom in our classrooms. Interesting plants are growing and animals are being created in the hands of our students. We have started our Rainforest Unit and the children's imaginations are flowing. During this unit we will be exploring many subjects. The skill we are assessing is a technology one: Be able to make usable plans. Our students will be making plans for a rainforest drink, a mask for a play we will perform and for a diorama we will create. As part of our unit, we are planning to take our students to Aquaria Museum:
Friday 29th May 2015. Please let us know if you would like to participate. 

Here is the rubric we will be working with throughout this unit.

Beginning
Developing Mastering
I can make a plan to use in class to make a product. My teacher helps me, as sometimes I forget to write down everything I will use and sometimes put things in the wrong order.
I can make a plan to use in the classroom to make a product. I write down everything I will use and the order I will do things in. Sometimes I put things in the wrong order and my teacher helps me to change it.
I can make a plan to use in the classroom to make a product. I always write down everything I will use and how I am going to do things. I write these things in the order that I am going to do them. I use my plan to make something and my teacher says my work is good.


For the past two weeks students have been celebrating reading. At home during the Spring Break students were encouraged to read books and last week we read silently for 30 minutes each day. Many of our students have participated in the Read-a-thon by handing in their lists of books and the money they were able to raise. We are so pleased to see how much reading has taken place. The deadline to hand in book lists and money is April 27th.

We have had to say goodbye to a student in 3C, Yurie Yoshino. We wish her the best of luck in her new school in Japan. You will be so missed.


Mrs Larsson our Science teacher has a note for her students:
Grade 3 students are learning some of the birds that can be seen in our local parks. They have a paper with photos of the birds. Here is a website with the songs of the birds. The names are in Swedish but they have the Swedish names on their papers.
http://www.fågelsång.se
Please take some time to listen to the songs and remind your kids to keep their eyes and ears open when they are outside.

As you know, Mrs Kinch will be leaving us sooner than the end of term. May 13th is her last day and from then on, Mrs D'Andrea-Nordin will be taking over her spot. We are still not sure who will be assisting in our classrooms but we will let you know as soon as we find out.

Enjoy your weekend!
Mrs Kinch, Ms Cruz and Mrs D'Andrea-Nordin

On the Radar

April 28 - Board evening social

May 1 - No School

May 7 - IPC Arts Exhibition 

May 11-13 - DRAs

May 14-15 - No School

May 19 - PD 1/2 Day


Students are demonstrating their understanding of long division by filling in the gaps




Finding fractional parts of a set using lego



Cody and Yelle from 7th grade come to Mrs Kinch's math class on Fridays to help out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment